Monday, June 17, 2013

Using DNA to understand Migration

Although I have not blogged much in 2013, I have been lurking on Twitter and on the Internet. During said lurking, I found many articles that sounded interesting and since I didn't really have time to read them, I saved them in my "GetPocket" folder.  In fact, I shoved so many links in my GetPocket account, I kept worrying that I would fill it up. So far I haven't.

Many links were saved because they were relevant to the blog. The theme for the first installment of links is migration and DNA. Many readers will be aware of my interest in DNA, not because it can tell you about disease or hair color, but because of what it can tell us about human migration patterns.

1. Go here to read about the prevalence of red hair in British populations, based upon a study by ScotlandsDNA (full disclosure: I am an affiliate).

2. A second DNA study by ScotlandsDNA suggests that one in ten Scottish men are descended from the Picts as reported by the Scotsman here.

3. This article reflects upon a recent study of Tibetan DNA and its suggestions that modern humans moved into Tibet in two separate migrations. Parts of it are a bit technical and I didn't understand them. Do what I did, skip those bits; you should still get the general gist of the thing.

4. Current research suggests that the Minoans were European, from Archaeology.

5. Several articles appeared about the genetic replacement that occurred in Central Europe about 4,5000 BCE. For two of them go here and here.

6. In 2012, the Migration Museum hosted a seminar on DNA and Migration. The focus on the talk, understandably, is the British Isles. I liked it; well worth a listen. Go here to read about the seminar and here to listen to the seminar (divided into six bits). If you have the SoundCloud App, you can follow the Migration Museum and listen to the seminar on your iPod; the seminar is not available in iTunes.

7. USA Today posted this article on the current fascination with DNA testing and its connection to family history.

8. And finally, an article from the LA Times which explores the fact that we are all related to each other.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...