Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Scotch Settlement Articles

Do you know what happens when summer school starts, job applications are due, a presentation must be created and given, and nieces and nephews come to visit all at the same time?  Total destruction of time for blogging!  So, I thought an "easy" post was the name of the game for this week.  I didn't want to go too long without posting, as I might never post again - can't have that.

My PhD dissertation was an investigation of migration networks and cultural maintenance in immigrant communities.  The subject of this research was Scotch Settlement which was established by Scottish Highlanders in Columbiana County, Ohio in the early nineteenth-century.  

I have given many academic papers based on my dissertation, but have only published one article based on it.  "It would be my earnest desire: Networks, the Migration Process, and Scottish Emigration" appeared in the Autumn 2009 issue of the Scottish Historical Review. At this page is an abstract to the article, but you must be a subscriber to access the pdf version (or you can buy access, which goes to support the journal). If you are lucky enough to live near a large research university, they might have a subscription and an actual copy of the journal. At some point in the near future, the article ought to be available through an online database, like JSTOR or Academic Search Premier. 

A second article, “I Devise and Bequeath”: Property and Inheritance among the Scottish Highlanders in Scotch Settlement, Columbiana County , Ohio was published by the Northeast Ohio Journal of History. It's an online journal, so if you click on the link, the article should be there. This was a paper and then an article based on data that did not make it into the dissertation.  I read it again this morning, and I must admit it is not the best thing I ever wrote, but you might find it interesting.

Now that I am used to the summer school schedule, the presentation is done, and the job application is off (fingers crossed!), it ought to be less than eight days before I post again.  Unless, of course, my sister's kids need me to help with puzzles or to take them for walks.  Until next time...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...