Friday, November 5, 2010

Follow Friday: Three New Scottish Themed Blogs

While catching up on blogposts this past week, I have learned about two new Scottish themed blogs from GeneaBloggers weekly posting of new blogs and one from Scottish GENES.  So, in case you missed them, here they are:

a'spaidsearachd agus a'meòrachadh (Gaelic for wandering and wondering) is not, technically speaking, a new blog as it was launched in 2008 and has over 450 posts. The focus of this blog is the Islands of Lewis and Harris in the Outer Hebrides. I never got to Lewis and Harris or any of the Hebrides really - I walked around Iona for a couple of hours and sailed by Staffa (the sea was too rough to land), so I'm not sure that counts.

Scottish DNA Project is administered by Dr. Bruce Durie and Alasdair MacDonald (the same Alasdair MacDonald who blogs at Your Scottish Ancestry). The Scottish Clans DNA project run since 2001 by John Hansen has recently been turned over to the genealogical studies team at Strathclyde University. The blog aims provide updates on project news and developments.

ScotlandsPeople is the blog for, you guessed it, ScotlandsPeople, the official Scottish genealogy resource. The blog discusses historical and contemporary events in Scotland as well as happenings at the Centre.  Oddly enough, there does not seem to be a link to the blog on the ScotlandsPeople homepage, nor does there appear to be an easily findable link to ScotlandsPeople search page on the blog. Perhaps this oversight will be remedied shortly.

I hope you enjoy reading and visiting these new blogs. I am especially excited about the DNA blog; I do hope they keep it updated. Additionally, it turns out that I have accrued quite the collection of Scottish themed blogs, so I have created a blogroll of them. See "Scotland the Blog" (sorry, couldn't resist) to the right, next to the blog archive. If you find new ones before I do, let me know and I'll add them.

3 comments:

direcleit said...

Just to say a very big 'Thank You' for mentioning my blog.
I have composed a brief entry drawing my readers' attention to yours, too.
All the best,
Peter

Chris Paton said...

There is a link to the ScotlandsPeople blog at the bottom of the centre's home page at www.scotlandspeoplehub.gov.uk - it is beneath the news section on the left hand column.

Chris

Amanda E. Epperson said...

Thanks Chris. I found the link (finally) at www.scotlandspeoplehub.gov.uk. However, there is no link at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, which is where I looked. I was confused by the fact that one site is for the Centre and the other is for searching the records. Amanda

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...