Sunday, December 1, 2013

Almost Forgot about St. Andrew's Day



St. Andrew's Day, November 30th, really comes at a bad time of year for an American who has a temporary job at her local Board of Elections. While the election was November 5th, there is much to do afterwards and Thanksgiving fell on November 28th this year. For this holiday I made turkey, mushroom and leek dressing, candied sweet potatoes, and pecan pie. Additionally, a colleague, who was younger than I, died just before Thanksgiving and his funeral was on the 30th. I wasn't really in the mood to plan another big meal for St. Andrew's Day, but neither did I want to ignore it. So on the way home from the funeral, I stopped at Gaelic Imports (inadvertently supporting Shop Small Saturday) and purchased a big box of Roses - one of my family's favorite British treats. My mom made her favorite dinner - breakfast. After dinner, I showed my parents a video of St. Andrew and read about St. Mungo, the patron saint of Glasgow.

At the end of the day, our quiet celebration of our Scottish heritage was quite fitting in light of the tragedy at the Clutha Vaults in Glasgow.  I have not been in Glasgow for over ten years now, but it is as dear to me as my hometown in California. You can follow updates on this ongoing story on Twitter by searching #Clutha or #CluthaVaults.

On a lighter note, St. Andrew's Day really ought to be in August. I don't have anything else going on then.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...